medieval clothing help?

   Posted by: tyankee7   in medieval clothing

Concern by lulu: medieval clothes aid?
what is the title of the purple part of a dress like this (it is generally the duration of the costume):

Also, i am likely to need to have to gown up in a medieval costume for a school task, does anybody have any suggestions of dress in i can find a [low-cost] gown?

Very best solution:

Reply by redunicorn

What do you think? Reply underneath!

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, April 4th, 2014 at 11:29 pm and is filed under medieval clothing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments so far


It’s called a laced bodice.

April 4th, 2014 at 11:59 pm

The red overdress is often referred to as an “Irish Dress” (which is a misnomer). It also isn’t really medieval but more so Renaissance,and really wasn’t even an actual style worn.

It is pretty, and the lacing is at least correct but a dress (kirtle) along those lines would require an underskirt, otherwise too much of the chemise (aka underware) is showing.

If you want a dress like that, Alter Years has a fairly easy pattern to make one. However, for a MEDIEVAL costumeI’d really suggest going with a tunic. Tunics and variations therof were the main fashion for women for all but the late middle ages when a front laced kirtle started coming into fashion that was very fitted to the body, but that kind of dress was also fully closed in front. Cynthia Virtue’s site that someone else linked to is a very good for making a period proper tunic, but for a school project it might be easier to use a non-period pattern like this one: http://www.angelfire.com/ia2/barony/newmembersguide/sewingtipstxt.html

April 5th, 2014 at 12:58 am

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.